Last time on #destinationcoffee we enjoyed a cool yule brew of Door County Coffee and Tea Company’s Jingle Bell Java and Naughty and Nice Grog…
Today we’re going to explore a few of my other favorite coffee spots throughout Door County Peninsula.
Known as the ‘Cape Cod of the Midwest,’ Door County is located on a picturesque peninsula jutting out into Lake Michigan. In the summer tourists flock to Door County to take in the spectacular waterfront views of crystal clear mighty Lake Michigan. Quaint villages like line the over 300 miles of pristine shoreline…Each town has a unique flavor, from the funky delicious restaurants, supper clubs, shops, history and beautiful vistas.
Each of Door County’s charming villages has something to offer…including world-class coffee! During our 2021 vacation we hit the Door County coffee trail starting with one of the most picturesque coffee shops I’ve visited…
A Little Bit of Coffee is located on the eastern side of the Peninsula in the village of Jacksonport. This nautical themed coffee shop is right on the banks of Lake Michigan. Enjoy a latte or hot tea with a pastry while looking out on the deep blue of Adjoined with right on shore of the 5th largest lake in the world (Michigan).
I have often imagined myself sitting in this coffee shop, overlooking Lake Michigan as I write my next novel. I’d love to return and spend several days just taking in the view and writing my blog as the waters of Lake Michigan ebb and flow.
A Little Bit of Coffee is connected to cozy lakefront inn, The Square Rigger Hotel.
A Little Bit of Coffee is open in the summer months. Check their facebook page for hours and updates.
Driving north, another favorite on our trip was the heaven sent Kick Ash Coffee and Bakery.
Located in Ellison Bay in a old church…Kick Ash Coffee is a gathering place for the community. Part bookstore, coffee shop, eatery and gluten free bakery – Kick Ash has something for everyone. I’m gluten free (my mother and I both have Celiac Disease) – so we were delighted to discover Kick Ash’s 100% gluten free pastries – including a cranberry oatmeal cake. I continue to follow their facebook page and dream about the mouthwatering gluten free cookies and cakes the bakery is always creating…
The coffee was a standout…roasted in house in small batches – I appreciated the bold flavors and smooth texture of the coffee. My favorite drink was The Trinity – a mix of hot cocoa, coffee and cream. Decadent and savory.
Coffee is more than just the cup of Joe – a good coffee shop brings communities together – Kick Ash Coffee is a gathering place – from book signings to live music and meaningful conversation…enjoy a ‘fika’ – coffee break at this popular DC java spot.
- pro-tip – Kick Ash Coffee is about ten minutes south of Gil’s Rock Harbor and also Newport State Park. Fill up on coffee and treats before taking a day trip to Washington Island or relaxing on the shores of Newport State Park. Newport State Park is one of the treasures of Door County and one of the Dark Sky areas in the state for stargazing…Kick Ash’s Dark Sky blend helps raise money to protect the park!
Locals also gave the scoop on their favorite coffee spots in Door County – people take their coffee very seriously around here…
A few other favorites:
- Blue Horse Cafe – located in funky and historic Fish Creek on the shores of Lake Michigan’s Green Bay
- Bearded Heart Coffee – Bailey’s Harbor…try the Mial- espresso with honey
- Skip Stone Coffee Roasters – Sister Bay (they use Kick Ash beans)
- Lawless Coffee – Sturgeon Bay – recommend Smoked Mocha – Dark Cocoa, Espresso Milk and Smoked Salt
- Gil’s Rock Coffee – enjoy a delicious cup before you take the ferry to Washington Island
- Buttercups Coffee – Egg Harbor
- Ephraim Coffee Lab – Ephraim
- Kick Coffee Shop – Sturgeon Bay
No matter how frigid the temps get this winter – coffee, cocoa, hot cider or hot cup of tea can power you through. Till the next cup…